Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Most Literary Travel Post of All Time.

I never thought I'd say: "I'm blogging from a small, underground brick building in Agra, India." because why would anyone ever say that unless they were doing it; if they were doing it, it would seem pompously self-reflexive and anti-climatic.

So I'm not going to say it.

That said, I'd like you to refer to para/1 so I can get on with this.

Well then. I flew into Beijing on 2 May, but I'm not going to give you a rundown of my itinerary because that is mind-obliteratingly inane.

I did get to see the Midi Rock Festival in Beijing, which was neat - especially when The Wombats from the UK yelled, in the most hilarious cliche of rock history: "It's so great to be here in Shanghai..............."

"...BEIJING!"

The two people I'm living with - Maomao, friend of Wu Yan, and Judi, Maomao's boyfriend from Indonesia - are intensely awesome. They've done up this awesome room for me, replete with Tibetan (well, north Sichuan) goodies and stuff. Maomao is in publishing and Judi is doing a masters in architecture at Qinghua University, so with their combined powers they have: "...made it look like a girls' room." according to Judi, who apparently then, had nothing to do with the fruitier aspects of the decor.

Why I am I writing like this from a brick shack. Dammit, I swear I wouldn't say that.

Anyway, though I am rather content to think that no one has ever typed "fruitier aspects of the decor" from this, or indeed possibly, any other brick hut - I can rest content and original.

As original as one can be when stared down by the Taj Mahal, which is approximately a km or two away. Or as original as one can feel in a mosque in Delhi as the sun is setting behind it's massive dome, it's lanterns glow an eerie green against the cap'd youngsters playing cricket in its courtyard, etc., etc.

I'm on my way, friends, on my way. I have a brief sketch and some moulding train tickets showing me the way, but it's up to Iain to see how much he can screw everything up before it's all over.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm leaving things out. This is deliberate. One does not keep all eggs in one basket - especially if he can eventually entice people to pay for his beer as he takes them out, one by one, dusts them off and explains their intricacies.

With Love,

Iain

5 Comments:

Blogger Nara said...

Haahaha great post Iain! :) I can't wait to see this room of yours. Sounds great!

Saturday, May 06, 2006 4:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pics of Iain hanging onto the side of a train ;)

Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds great - need more clarification on "fruitier". Lots of photos please!

Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you are enjoying yourself. good luck with everything.

Monday, May 08, 2006 2:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Iain! One question. Isn't Taj Mahal a band? I'm so glad you're having a great time so far, try not to spend too much time filling us in on what you're doing when you could be seeing the world! Great post though, keep it up.
DAN

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home