Tuesday, July 11, 2006

La Post World-Cup Post

When Germany and France knocked Argentina and Brazil out of the world cup, I stopped watching all but the highlights. But the clearest highlight of the entire World Cup was CCTV's Chinese commentator, Huang Jianxiang, losing his skull and screaming about how much the Australian coach deserved the Italian penalty kick that booted the Aussies from the Cup.

Since then, something else insanely funny has happened. It appears that people in Nanjing are touchier at Brazil losing than even I (such, such beautiful footwork) could be:

An elderly Chinese man went on a rampage in Nanjing after Brazil's defeat to France in the World Cup quarter-finals last weekend.

The man ran amok in a city square hitting people with a stick and shouting" "The Brazilians lost! There is nothing worth watching! I don't want to watch any more games!"

(A Reuters article originally excerpted on Danwei.org 5 days ago)

All I did was make snarky comments to anyone cheering for France; this guy has one upped me in the "passion" department. Another old man apparently marched around naked with a banner declaring that "BRAZIL MUST WIN."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too loathe \\\\ as being a little pretentious!!!!! (so are !!!!!- exasperating) If you made your column wider - it would not be so long. I believe Confuscious may have said that but I could be a little wrong####

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:44:00 AM  
Blogger Nara said...

I haven't heard a damn thing about World Cup since Korea lost. I think they're trying to pretend it never happened.

World Cup? What world cup? HEY look! A flood!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:00:00 AM  
Blogger Delande said...

Hey guys,

I know there is a flood. Are you okay? Let us know. This is Nara's mom Iian

Monday, July 17, 2006 6:13:00 AM  
Blogger Delande said...

Sorry, I meant Iain.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 7:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I find more of your writing?

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

iain, saw some much awaited photos of your escapades on nara's blog.

1. you're black-man tanned.
2. how i am jealous of that asian food spread.


x

Monday, July 31, 2006 8:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home