Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Lecture: Food Spreads and Ocean Spray

I have received a request to post gossip on here, instead of political commentary.

This is a valid demand, and as pointed out in the request itself, there is an ungodly amount of political commentary, as equally silly and pointless as my own, currently floating around on blogs.

However, there is perhaps even more gossip, rumour, festering pseudo-allegations against fellow bloggers and readers, etc, to sift through as well.

I will do my best to combine both in a terribly unlucrative compromise.

I went to the Lewis Lapham (editor of Harper's) lecture at Ottawa U. last night. A friend and I had a few drinks before, and as we left, we discovered an intense spread of giant shrimp, salmon wraps, sushi, bread, a wide variety of cheeses, and - my thanks here go to the Ottawa U. graduate student's association and all the tuition fees they skimmed - free booze.

After chatting with my friend and imbibing red wine and Stella's, I overheard someone say, extremely loudly, something to the effect of:

"Man, I'm a political analyst and I'm not going to take crap from anybody, even Lewis Lapham."

He was elaborating his point in a spray of vitriol all over the shirt of the woman he was addressing. She didn't looked amused and was verbally squirming in the surrounding awkwardness.

It was funny. It's not gossip, but it's the best I'm willing to divulge.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alana said...

oh iain....i'll give you points for trying. and good grammar. and even making me smile. BUT NO POINTS FOR A GOOD, SOCIAL GOSSIP BLOG.

I want to hear about Iain, y'know?

that said, go to my blog and apply to be my valentine.

Monday, February 13, 2006 2:28:00 AM  
Blogger iain.e.marlow said...

Now THAT'S gossip! woot.

Monday, February 13, 2006 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home