Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Poem


The following is a poem by my favourite Chinese poet, Li Bai.

He is the only Chinese poet I really know, but he is loved by me for dying while trying to embrace the reflection of the moon in a pond, in which he was floating alone in a boat while drinking.

He is commemorated on a fan that I display to Bay Street in my window in Ottawa; a fan hand-painted by a very bizarre man in a public park near Duolun Lu in Shanghai.


花間一壺酒。 Among flowers with a pot of liquor;
獨酌無相親。 I pour alone but with no friend at hand;
舉杯邀明月。 So I lift the cup to invite the shining moon;
對影成三人。 Along with my shadow, a fellowship of three.

月既不解飲。 The moon understands not the art of drinking;
影徒隨我身。 The shadow gingerly follows my movements;
暫伴月將影。 Still I make the moon and the shadow my company;
行樂須及春。 To enjoy the springtime before it's too late.

我歌月徘徊。 The moon lingers while I am singing;
我舞影零亂。 The shadow scatters while I am dancing;
醒時同交歡。 We share the cheers of delight when sober;
醉後各分散。 We separate our ways after getting drunk;
永結無情遊。 Forever will we keep this unfettered friendship;
相期邈雲漢。 Til we meet again far in the Milky Way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home