Monday, September 18, 2006

Of Boston Legal and Homecoming

This weekend I bore witness to the mass lunacy that is Queen's University Homecoming. Saturday night saw Aberdeen turn stupider than I imagine it usually is. However, the main point of going was to see some of my best friends, namely two Dan's, a Phil, and a Jenna or two.

Friday night: Ripping shirts off to "Don't stop me now," by Queen; riding bikes and falling off; ripped Converse; chatting to several policemen about statistics and arrests; otherwise being excellent.

I carried a notebook the whole night; most of what I wrote down is illegible and, to be honest, brutally inept and unpoetic.

A sample: "This city is awash with refugees from comfortable homes and arguably ridiculous lineage."

Don't ask me what exactly I meant by that; just know that it was funny to read back, as it is again, now.

Also, me and Phil relived the brief 3-week stint I spent at the Whig-Standard by sitting around without shirts on and watching Boston Legal.

This show is excellent for several reasons: 1) Subtlety; 2) The delicious timbre of well-mic'd low voices, including Spader and Shatner; 3) The basis of a show around monologues which pay delightful homage to rhetoric, reason, and argument; 4) The bizarre but excellent politicization of Season 2.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed. boston legal is enjoyable.

i happened to check out "studio 60 on the sunset strip" and it is remarkably well done. i was surprised. i don't watch much tv regualarly, but it warrants at least a second viewing.

ps...i love that you brought a notebook with you all night.

hope life isn't too insane for you yet,
~Renee

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*regularly (journalism habit i can't shake)

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet it was the notebook + the 13kuai fountain pen. hehe, if i am wrong, i would be very disappointed. hahah

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:55:00 AM  
Blogger iain.e.marlow said...

Yo Renee; as if I watch it on TV - DOWNLOADED.

And Yan, of course you're right. You always are.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger iain.e.marlow said...

It's tough work.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home